The Blitz K24 vs TD04 difference... coming soon ;)

Damage

Member +
Well today my TD04H arrived and hopefully next week will be putting it on the car so finally will be able to compare these turbos properly power wise, lag, exactly. Mainly I got it to test it out as I was curious to see if the TD04 is better even round corners and not just in straight line speed. Drag wise I think the TD04H will be better but for sprint use I'm still not sure.

Will keep you guys posted as soon as I put this on my car and give you the first impressions compared to the Blitz K24 ;)

Also the TD05 arrived but its for another car I'm doin up. Will keep you posted about that aswell ;)

Regards,

Daniel J. Vella

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly

Member +
good to hear you got it Daniel

i agree td04 better for drag but for the track i cant see it happening ( i could be wrong) ive seen how bloody fast Nicks td04 is but the lag has to be something your willing to cope with and on a track, fast spool up would be good.

always be interesting to see for sure too many diff factors i guess tho from car to car!!

hope all goes good :)

Last edited:
well......if its greddy's unit,,,,the spool is suppose to be pretty good........and if he needs faster grunt.....then there's always more ignition/timing down low........within reason of course

Gee

Member +
So its not the TD04L off the Impreza which most of us have and compate to the K24 then :homer:

Either way, will be a good cmoparison.

To be fair Kelly, I dont think you have experienced a TD04 at over 1bar? TD04 is capable of so much more so we'll see. Dan was running 1.2 I believe and has a better time than any K24 in the UK? And the TD04 can boost 1.4bar and many think more?

Really dont see it being too shabby on track either! Lots get 1bar at 3,500rpm??

Last edited:

Aga

Member +
the greddy td04h-15g has no diffrence in lag to a td04L ... i dont know about power, but mine pulled 270 with a damaged impeller.

the k24, i've driven it only on low boost (0.7) and its a sweet turbo. it doesnt scream and slap you in the face like the TD, but it delivers a linear power.

Kelly

Member +
So its not the TD04L off the Impreza which most of us have and compate to the K24 then :homer:

Either way, will be a good cmoparison.

To be fair Kelly, I dont think you have experienced a TD04 at over 1bar? TD04 is capable of so much more so we'll see. Dan was running 1.2 I believe and has a better time than any K24 in the UK? And the TD04 can boost 1.4bar and many think more?

Really dont see it being too shabby on track either! Lots get 1bar at 3,500rpm??

no not over a bar at one bar.
Gee yeh dan was running that and got that time but with that comparison your refferring to drag times in which if you read above i stated the td04 would perform better.

Even if i havent experienced a td04 over 1bar does that mean if its running 1.4bar its going to be less laggy? i dont understand your point.

Damage

Member +
I'm hoping it will hook up to the Blitz K24 adaptor as it has a t25 flange and hopefully it will clear the radiator. If it does its just a matter of getting a new downpipe and see how it goes ;)

hardcoreep

Member +
Even if i havent experienced a td04 over 1bar does that mean if its running 1.4bar its going to be less laggy? i dont understand your point.
Turbochargers have a sweet spot as determined by the compressor map. The further you are away from the optimum efficiency island the worse it will perform. This is why a CT9 at 15-17psi will make more power than a td04 at 8-10psi. A td04 at 8psi will not be as sharp as one at 16psi excluding the expected power difference.

Last edited:

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Both have advantages, both very very good, im a huge fan of the k24 it works very well and will out last a TD04 turbo age wise as prooved by ben.

I took ben out in my TD04 setup he seemed to like it and agreed with me its alot laggier than a k24 but it pulls to the limiter where his drops off, depends what you want and plus im sick of all this 1/4 time bullshit, starlets are never gonna be good 1/4 mile, its all about the track and thats all im interested in.

Gee

Member +
Turbochargers have a sweet spot as determined by the compressor map. The further you are away from the optimum efficiency island the worse it will perform. This is why a CT9 at 15-17psi will make more power than a td04 at 8-10psi. A td04 at 8psi will not be as sharp as one at 16psi excluding the expected power difference.

Then once it hits 1.4bar or above it will cruise past the K24 GT :D

Hardcore is just so good at explaining things!

I'm not hating on the K24's Kelly, I know ur just a bit biased because your GT has a K24 :p

BTW Jone's,

Ben's engine is probably fully balanced etc etc, with all forged light internals and god know's what else on a good map. All these factors can aid with spool times. How is 1bar at 3,500rpm laggy which a few have reported getting? I do know that the K24 spools faster thou, no argument there.

I can tell now running only 7psi, my car is well eger to rev up more than it was before. I can only assume this is due to the engine balance and lighter componants.

Guess a new built engine has summat to do with it too LOL

Don't hate on the QTR mate, everyone likes different things. i know of a Glanza and a GT in the 11's...sounds good to me!! I'm not a massive fan of the QTR but that aint going to stop me trying to put down some good times once all mapped up. I do love the circuit more. Will deffo arrange something in the new year after I'm all mapped up :D

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
Well ours run 13s, 12s and 11s. Not too sure about not good at 1/4 mile comment. That's what they're know for here. The cheapest 12 second car in Jamaica.

hardcoreep

Member +
I personally would expect the K24 to offer more midrange power. The td04 would offer the greater power spread. I had a Greddy 15g and it pulled all the way to the redline. K24s, from the one's that I've driven have a big slug of power then down. The best compromise between the laggy Garretts and the powerband of the td04.

and dont fool yourselfs....they are a wide variety of td04s......u can choose or spec yours to your needs........i'm sure there could be one very close to the k24 (which also has variations)....maybe the td04-13g??

so just choose accordingly.........the same goes for the vf/tdo4l subaru series.....a lot of parts are interchangable..as they are mhi/ihi units

Gee

Member +
Yeah, the RR graphs I've seen for the K24's seem to drop off drastically. Maybe cam's could sort this?

Usually, if somebody says to me TD04 I automatically refer to the TD04L from the Subaru Impreza, unless otherwise stated as they are the ones mainly used and mentioned on this site.

The K24 does provide lots of midrange power/torque.

FeNder

Member +
been on the trust japan website , shows several Tdo4 models , the tdo4 16t and 19t , significantly bigger compressor wheels n such , they look pretty good !

Pumba_GT

Member +
Alright, that's a very good news Danny! I can justify your judgement to the members here after my holiday in your place, if you want me to! Lol... I will be experiencing your little beast very soon! See you there.

GTti

Member +
Depends what you want and plus im sick of all this 1/4 time bullshit, starlets are never gonna be good 1/4 mile, its all about the track and thats all im interested in.

I agree, I think the K24 will be much more suitible for the track/sprint with its midrange grunt, it's also still sufficient higher up. The enjoyment is the surge of torque pulling you out of the corners, this will be less noticeable with the power shifted up the range using a TD04. This will change your driving style completely and take away the fun from the car you've built. And if you want to shift the power up the range then the 4EFTE is the wrong engine to start with!

I think you're making the wrong decision about your car, and for your use 200bhp and very good torque with the K24 will be better than a TD04 at any power for sprint use.

Yeah, the RR graphs I've seen for the K24's seem to drop off drastically. Maybe cam's could sort this?

A more agressive cam will make this more noticeable, as would a larger throttle body.