The fun I've been having...

Monkfish

Member +
Some of you may have noticed that The Bitch is no longer for sale. Here's why...

On Wednesday on the way home from work, the Starlet overheated in epic fashion and shat the headgasket to bits. I had water boiling out of the rocker cover breather and she was running like an absolute pig. She limped the last 1/4 mile home. Once I got there I had to shift the cars around (There are 3 in the household) so I popped into the house to grab Uma's keys. The Bitch didn't want to start, but eventually did and erupted a plume of white smoke out of the exhaust. Awesome. She's now sat at the top of the drive and I haven't a fucking clue what to do with her now.

Anyway, seeing as she is now off the road it was time to get Uma sorted. She had been MOT'd about a month ago and failed on corrosion and emissions. This was at ATS. I had the welding done by a mate of mine for £100 (Garages had quoted nearly 3 times that) and a new lambda sensor set me back £68. I spent a further £45 on Wednesday evening servicing her and I managed to get her booked into Llynfi Lane Garage for around 12 yesterday as I already had a half day booked in work. Expecting her to pass and with the Starlet being off the road, I phoned Sky Insurance and had the policy swapped onto Uma.

I dropped her off at the garage and went back a few hours later to find that she had failed again. "What on?" I hear you ask.

This...

UmaSpring.jpg

What you are looking at is a rear Spax lowering spring in no less that FIVE pieces. FIVE FUCKING PIECES! Llynfi Lane also found that most of the brake lines are corroded, the rear trailing arm bushes are totally shot, both bottom arm bushes are shot and several other fairly major issues and advisories. All in all, about £400 +VAT in labour to correct if I had them do the work. Nice.

If you were paying attention earlier you'd have noticed that I said she failed her MOT last month on corrosion and emissions, but not springs. Well, ATS didn't pick that up. Nor did they pick up the rear trailing arm bushes. Or the bottom arm bushes. Or the brake lines. Or anything else for that matter. There's no way in hell all of that has failed by her sitting on the drive for a month.

Check this out... (Linked as image is huge!)
http://m0nkfish.co.uk/Random/DSC_9362.jpg

That's 1/5th of the spring that is now sat by my computer at home. As you can see, the corrosion looks fairly old, meaning the spring was definately like that what she was MOT'd. The fact she failed anyway is, to me, mostly irrelevant given the fact that another garage picked up on some major faults that, lets be frank, shouldn't have been missed and could have cause a serious accident. ATS charged me £54 for the pleasure too. Had I taken the car back to them she may well have been passed when she shouldn't be on the road at all. Just thinking about the concequences had some of that spring come loose and fouled the rear wheel just doesn't bare thinking about.

Anyway, having had a rant about them to a few of my friends who have also heard of a few horror stories, they suggested I contact VOSA, which I did today. I was advised by them to take some pictures of the issues and email them in and they will investigate the garage. What the outcome of that would be I don't know. I'd hope they have their testing licence revoked or get fined.

So, now I have two fucked cars and no way to get to work easily. I'm looking about for a cheap run around, but that's going to be a clusterfuck with insurance and a pain in the arse havnig 4 cars on the driveway (5 when Mrs Fish comes around).

Fuck. :mad:

sx_turbo

Lifer
thats some very bad luck.

what the fiesta/puma failed on is extremely common (inc the spring snapping)

you thought about spending a weekend and doing it yourself?

i'm also surprised the brake pipes are corroded as there normally made out of copper nickel on the newer cars (on the gt i know they are steel)

weakboy2

Member +
Lol ricky, fords of that era are reknowned for it :( i have spent many times having brake fluid dripping down my arms changing the rear ones :(

What are you going to do with the bitch mike? :(

Monkfish

Member +
have sum rep bro to cheer u up! think u need it:freddy:
Cheers, although a wad of cash would be nice.:haha:

thats some very bad luck.

what the fiesta/puma failed on is extremely common (inc the spring snapping)

you thought about spending a weekend and doing it yourself?

i'm also surprised the brake pipes are corroded as there normally made out of copper nickel on the newer cars (on the gt i know they are steel)
Yeh, the garage said that Fiesta's and Puma's of this age always seem to fail on the few things. The brake lines run through the arch liners, which seem to be made from doormats, and they retain shitloads of moisture. That's why most Puma's have blown rear arches.

As for doing the work, I'd get most of it done myself, although the failures list is quite extensive and I'd imagine that even with staff discount (Some of my mates work for Ford) I'd be looking at a small fortune. That and I don't think the springs can be bought in pairs (They're Spax lowering springs), I'd have to get a whole set. Some of the work (Brake lines) I'd have to get the garage to do anyway. Either way, I reckon I'd be sinking almost half of the cars worth in repairs into her and I'm not sure it's worth it.

What are you going to do with the bitch mike? :(
I really don't know. I've already paid out a small fortune to have the headgasket done and it has failed spectacularly. The head is, at best, shaped like a banana now. I could strip it and find a totally shagged block. I'm at a total loss as to what to do.

As the old saying goes, "If it's got tits or wheels, it's trouble". I'm just glad my 'tits' are being awesome and very supportive at the moment. :homer:

J

*JO*

that not good your lucky really she didnt pass as you could have had a nasty accident. xx

sx_turbo

Lifer
when you had the gasket done on the bitch mie did they skim the block?

i ask because it's the blocks fault on 70% of gasket failures on starlets.

my first engine blew the gasket and it was because the block was warped, got that rebuilt and the block needed skimming, all was fine.

then that broke (big end went)

i then bought another block, and my engineer realised it was warped, and had to take quite a bit off the top. he told me that because the walls are so thin on the 4e engine, even though it's cast they still warp very easy

Indeed, which is why I am involving VOSA.

Awesome. In your professional opinion and looking at the large picture of the spring, approximately how long would you say that has been broken?

Never said I was any good though :p

But in my department, we inspect caisons and risers. To tell the thickness of whats left we use ultrasonic testing and visually, we can only have a very rough idea and use the UT data to back up and concur the visual information. We don't analyise the data ourselves, thats the clients integrity folks that do it. We just report what we see and whats left thickness wise.

Although I can ask around, as some folk might know as I'm sure some of them are like metallurgists and are definately more experienced than me.

Monkfish

Member +
that not good your lucky really she didnt pass as you could have had a nasty accident. xx
This is one of the reasons I'm taking the issue up with VOSA. How many more potentially dangerous cars are on our local roads?

when you had the gasket done on the bitch mie did they skim the block?

i ask because it's the blocks fault on 70% of gasket failures on starlets.

my first engine blew the gasket and it was because the block was warped, got that rebuilt and the block needed skimming, all was fine.

then that broke (big end went)

i then bought another block, and my engineer realised it was warped, and had to take quite a bit off the top. he told me that because the walls are so thin on the 4e engine, even though it's cast they still warp very easy
I doubt the block was even checked TBH. I was told the head looked fine as a straight edge had been put up against it.

Never said I was any good though :p

But in my department, we inspect caisons and risers. To tell the thickness of whats left we use ultrasonic testing and visually, we can only have a very rough idea and use the UT data to back up and concur the visual information. We don't analyise the data ourselves, thats the clients integrity folks that do it. We just report what we see and whats left thickness wise.

Although I can ask around, as some folk might know as I'm sure some of them are like metallurgists and are definately more experienced than me.
That would be great if you can ask about. It doesn't have to be accurate, just a rough idea of when it broke would be great. If I can say to the garage something like "Trained metallurgists have informed me that the level of corrosion suggests the spring was broken X months ago" then I doubt they'd have much to say to counter the claim that it was broken when she was tested. I know for a fact that it was as the car hasn't been driven since (And I have eyes in my head and I'm not a retard), but my opinion is likely to count for fuck all against a 'trained' mechanic.

The other way to play it would be to take the bit of spring into the garage and say "In your professional opinion, how long would you say this spring has been broken for?". If they respond with anything over a month, I'll pounce on that and watch the fuckers squirm. :freddy:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Damn mikey... seems like never a dull moment for u bud :(

What caused the hg to fail on the gt? or where u expecting that to go?

as for the puma.. damn.. never seen a spring fail so badly..

rep for support mate!!
kon

Monkfish

Member +
Damn mikey... seems like never a dull moment for u bud :(

What caused the hg to fail on the gt? or where u expecting that to go?

as for the puma.. damn.. never seen a spring fail so badly..

rep for support mate!!
kon
The HG should have been fine as it was brand new (As were the headbolts and timing belt), although the head wasn't skimmed to I suspect that to be the root cause of the failure. She had been fucking about starting on Tues and Wed morning and the overheating coming home on wed was the final nail in the coffin.

The mechanic at the garage said that he's been working on cars for damn near 40 years and has never seen a spring fail like this one.

faisalgtturbo

Member +
unlucky m8

i would buy a used 4efte and drop it in to the bitch

rather than fix the ford (scrap it for money to fix the bitch)

faisal

Sent the pic to a guy at my work who's been doing the business for god knows how long, he's charged out as an rbi technical authority though regarding scope 2 work so his credentials are decent to say the least.

His words exactly are:
The spring is several years old. The spring fracture is greater than 6 months (possibly years) old. Can’t be more specific because of the picture.

Hope that helps man.

munday

Member +
I highly doubt anything will come of the VOSA investigation, they may get a few points at most but its worth a try anyway

Monkfish

Member +
Sent the pic to a guy at my work who's been doing the business for god knows how long, he's charged out as an rbi technical authority though regarding scope 2 work so his credentials are decent to say the least.

His words exactly are:
The spring is several years old. The spring fracture is greater than 6 months (possibly years) old. Can’t be more specific because of the picture.

Hope that helps man.
Thanks for the information, that's enough to go on. :)

I highly doubt anything will come of the VOSA investigation, they may get a few points at most but its worth a try anyway
Probably not, but I'm going to give it a damn good go.

Dave.

Member +
If u've got a bit of money it could be a good time to pick up a brand new runaround with the new scheme thats going, where you can scrap a car for a 'voucher' to redeem against a new car.

Not sure on the specifics, but worth a look surely?

Dave