Urgent Help Please!! Engine problem!

GTnomez

Member +
HI Guys!

Got a bit of a problem and ill cut to the chase. New engine in, runs fine no problems, i get the MOT done and drove home. An oil leak showed up so i checked it out and it seemed to be coming from the timing belt cover.

Well i found out that it was just the rocker cover gasket was not tightened down properly on one side so it was leaking through into the timing belt area.

I tried starting it and it wouldnt start, would just crank and would sound REAL wierd, and sometimes its would jam and the cogs would stop moving!! In the end i noticed i drop a washer down there and it must be jamming the cogs.

So i removed the crank pulley and the bottom timing belt and the wash fell out. Heres the HELP part, i tried to start the car and it was still doing the same thing and when i finally started it, it was running ROUGH AS HELL as if the timing was WELL out. I loosend the dizzy and adjusted it and nothing changed. I afraid i have damaged the engine :( This would all done on idle so the car wasnt driving.

Im just thinking that the washer may have made the belt slip a tooth as the car sounds terrible!!! I mean everything was fine before the incident.

Help!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I would be setting up your cam timing again just incased it has slipped which is very possible if the washer was jamming the clogs.

dark_knight

Member +
engine timing most likely

@GTnomez: sorry about that mate. i'd be checking timing too and not to whoop your behind too much, i'd go over the nooks and crevices for anything else that may have dropped or be fouling movement down there.. :)

whiteglanzav

Member +
its already been said but just to re iterate

redo the timing belt and the timing make sure all the knotches on the pullys are where they are supposed to be and check the integrity of the teeth on the pully aswell

and put the dizzy cap back to where it should be

GTnomez

Member +
Sweet guys, you just confirmed what i was thinking. I lined up the bottom and the top and the 4e mark was out from the dot behind it by one tooth.

Great, rep'd.

Also could i have damaged the engine? Internally?

GTnomez

Member +
its already been said but just to re iterate

redo the timing belt and the timing make sure all the knotches on the pullys are where they are supposed to be and check the integrity of the teeth on the pully aswell

and put the dizzy cap back to where it should be

Now this, the bottom cog (one behind the crank) has notches cut out of it which i guess is down to the damn washer. Looks like i will have to replace that!

I have to line up the cogs/pulley on TDC right?

whiteglanzav

Member +
the bottom cog knotch goes to the 0 on the botom timing belt cover and the cams join up with 2 dots to 1 dot with the 4e marks it is quite simple realy mate im sure you'll be able to do it with no probz its just a bit tricky to get in at it when the engines still in.

;)

GTnomez

Member +
Acess if fine as its stripped down. Im going to have a good at it, i know it has slipped a tooth because the dot on the cam pulley was not inline with the one on the head.

Cheers Ed.

GTnomez

Member +
Well i sorted the timing out. Had a bit of a confused time though as i wasnt sure which dot on the head it was supposed to line up with ( U & A) but the second dot lined up with the 2 dots on the backside of the cam which i guessed was the right one. Reassembled it all and started it, ran ALOT better, like it did before the incident!

However..... before i did this i rotated the crank to TDC and the camshaft pulley lined up with the first dot on the head which would imply that it was out by six teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That go me worried!

I did a compression test on a cold engine and it was a low 3 bar across all four which kind of scared me BUT im sure that they will be high (like 150 psi) on a warm engine. Well i hope so.... x_x

Cheers guys

GP82

Member +
Yes redo the compression test with the engine at operating temp, you should see an increase in compression as the piston ring gap will decrease with expansion from the heat, best of luck!