Whats the problem/damage done?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I'm expecting the worst here folks.

A couple of days ago my Glanza started running badly, really low lumpy idle, engine cutting out, coughing and spluttering through the rev range.

It was last serviced maybe six months ago when I had the td04 kit fitted but I (stupidly) haven't checked under the bonnet since then. I opened my bonnet and its a right mess, it looks like oil has been coming through the breather filter. I checked my oil level and it was almost bone dry.

I filled it up with oil today and started it up. Still low, lumpy idle and strange exhaust sound (kinda rumbling sound, bit like a scooby). As soon as it started boosting it coughed out a huge plume of white smoke so I kept it off boost and parked back up.

So what do you reckon? Is it terminal? What will have been damaged and how much work/money is it gonna need to fix?

Someone please give me some good news! :(

J25GTi

Lifer
Very expensive mistake to make, could be pistons and bottom end, compression test it and see how it comes out

churcherj

Member +
if its making a rumnling or knocking sound you could have a big end bearing problem, particulary if youve ran it bone dry, also as said could be pistons if its spitting oil out the breather....probably best off compression testing it first to see the results, then if they come back quite bad your probably need to strip it down to inspect the internals etc best of luck

churcherj

Member +
Thats what I was expecting. Wank.

Why would it lose all its oil in the first place though?

was just gona say probably piston ring failure which has caused it to lose oil spitting through the breather etc, how many miles have you done since u fitted the td04 etc?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Not sure on the milage but the td04 kit was fitted and mapped about 6ish months ago by Nick Jones so I doubt it was down to the map.

churcherj

Member +
Not sure on the milage but the td04 kit was fitted and mapped about 6ish months ago by Nick Jones so I doubt it was down to the map.

not being funny mate but its probably your poor maintenance if you didnt check under the bonnet for 6 months....high powered cars need alot of attention and regular services/checks are a must :( u could have been running low on oil for a while and continued to drive it

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I'm aware of that dude, thanks. But that doesn't change the fact that I didn't.

I'll get it compression tested and report back.

Chris@CCM

Member +
Guys u all say cracked piston ring they don't crack the rings they crack the piston at the ringlands it's not part of the ring it's part of the piston

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Running your car for 6 months without checking the oil levels? Oh dear.

Forged engines are prone to using more oil than a standard engine which is why some sort of maintanence is essential. Even when your dip stick is showing low its already too late especially when cornering when oil starvation can occur.

Id listen to what Chris, Dave and Ricky are all saying.