Wobbly & unsafe steering - help

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Hey guys & galz.

My GT seems to have such sh*t steering. It feels really heavy but then when travelling at like 20mph plus, it feels really light and not 'firm to the floor' like it has done before. Feels really unsafe especially on smaller country roads as it just goes where it wants to. I had the tracking checked 2 weeks ago and they said it was pretty much spot on and no sign of un-even tyre wear.

Im not sure what else to check, would the power steering have anything to do with this? Got a lot of liquid underneath the engine that i was told was not oil but power steering fluid :confused: but the power steering liquid bottle seems at a good level in the bay....

Any ideas people? Let me know if i need to give me info etc. etc..

Need this sorted as it feels crap to drive anywhere :(

LEwis :)

zee20

Member +
Hey guys & galz.

My GT seems to have such sh*t steering. It feels really heavy but then when travelling at like 20mph plus, it feels really light and not 'firm to the floor' like it has done before. Feels really unsafe especially on smaller country roads as it just goes where it wants to. I had the tracking checked 2 weeks ago and they said it was pretty much spot on and no sign of un-even tyre wear.

Im not sure what else to check, would the power steering have anything to do with this? Got a lot of liquid underneath the engine that i was told was not oil but power steering fluid :confused: but the power steering liquid bottle seems at a good level in the bay....

Any ideas people? Let me know if i need to give me info etc. etc..

Need this sorted as it feels crap to drive anywhere :(

LEwis :)

Im having the same problem, feels like the front alloy wheels move forward and backwards as a whole when driving, dunno why:confused:

Idrees

Banned
I have a similar problem and I've been told one ball joint is worn, fitting a new pair today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I have a similar problem and I've been told one ball joint is worn, fitting a new pair today. I'll let you know how it goes!

Is this a big job mate? Ive had cv joints and new driveshafts replaced about a year or so ago... are the ball joints seperate to this?

Cheers :)

Craig_GT

Lifer
Bottom ball joints aint a big job made, you need 2 folk ideally tho to lever the bottom arm down when you unbolt it.
They aint expensive to replace either.

monka

Member +
they are pretty easy, 3 bolts on the lowe arm, and one on the hub, depends how seized the joint is to the hub as well,

glanzared

Fresh Recruit
i kinda have that prob too, where im turning ot parking the car, n my power steering belt is squeeky so maybe thats my prob.

cameroon95

Member +
On high speeds- above 60, my car feels very light and twitchy, me no like that:p

Any tips guys? Im getting an anti lift and tracking down this month.

I have trd shocks and springs which are pretty hard

Ted

Member +
on my first gt the rubber bushes that hold the steering rack to the firewall failed causing a few dangerous moments. worth checking.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Thanks for your help people, singles down a few things it could be. Ill check the ball joints etc.. May not attempt this myself tho, not to confident working on these type of things on my car.

Nwimie

Member +
ball joints would be the first option defo easy job can do both sides in a hour. other things to check would be any rubber bushing really as this is generally the cause of vague steering.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Check brake discs and pads for any cracks in discs or uneven pads.

Only had new disks, pads etc in September & think they are all in good nic mate.. Cheers for your reply :)

ball joints would be the first option defo easy job can do both sides in a hour. other things to check would be any rubber bushing really as this is generally the cause of vague steering.

Yeah i think this is what im gonna check into first mate. Where can i get replacement bushes from & can it be fitted with someone with minor mechanical knowlege? Cheers for your reply :)

lewis you only around the corner.
i give you a hand one evening if you need it fella?

That would be great mate, need to get some bushes in & ill give you a shout :D

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Went out for a drive last night and my car is shaking all over the joint... Its sooo bad it feels like im running without suspension :p I dont know where to start looking & what to replace as i dont really know what im looking for :( Hate driving it at the mo :(