Opinions please - Finally got told off for my number plate :(

milloman

Member +
Yo!!!

So as i've said in previous posts about running a Jap plate on the back of my car (with my UK plate stuck in the window) without upsetting the po-leeece for like 7 months... that reign finally came to an end the other day :( (please note, this was the day after my birthday, i think the officer felt bad when he asked for my date of birth as he was writing out the ticket, lol)

Anyway, they of course stopped me for that reason, i was able to swap the rear ones around there and then, which they were happy about... however my beloved front number plate is apparently illegal and i got a £30 fine for it, booo :( i loved having a smaller plate! Anyway...

My question now is... what the hell can i do to make it legal but not ruin its look!?!? Here's a pic of what it's like now, and that plate has to go unfortunately :( what should i do in its place, so as not to bollocks up the look of my front end? Opinions very welcome pleasing thank yous :)

IMG_1049-2.jpg

Note: this may turn into a poll if i get a couple of options in mind!! :)

Thaaaanks lovely guys n gals @ TGTT!!

glanzanut

Lifer
i have the same number plate but with the right size font and proper reflective backing. never been pulled and passed an mot. might be worth u looking into?:freddy:

milloman

Member +
Oh yeah i see from your sig!! That's an option! Tho i'd quite like to have a gap between lettering and edge...

I've just done a massive read up of the laws on this. Am currently finding any possible get out clauses i may have... one i'm pursuing is "if the vehicle does not have Europeean Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval".... how the hell do i find that out?! If it doesn't, then i'm exempt and the letters can legally be a smaller size apparently...

milloman

Member +
mate just accept the fine, and change your plate - you wont be able to get out of it.

Yeah mate you are right, it would be a bloody long battle for very little gain at all. It's not the fine i'm bothered about its only £30 and no other consequences, i just like having my plate, lol.

:(

I may just move to japan so i can have Jap plates on legally :) lol, problem solved!!

milloman

Member +
What about the fact his number plate is a sticker/vinyl on his bumper? Are they concerned about the fact it isn't made of the usual solid material/reflective stuff etc?

Hey Kel, they didn't actually mention that at the time (of course, no officer can remember all legislations at once!), his major beef was with the sizing of the lettering.

But as the doc that Dave linked us to, it says it has to be durable (Strength) and reflective... reflective is black and white in that it either is or isn't... but as for strength, they give no guidelines as to what is deemed as 'strong'... therefore like many laws, there is no obvious answer! I wouldn't be afraid to have a stick on number plate personally though...

milloman

Member +
Like how, stuck to the inside of the windscreen? Or attached to the passenger sun visor? Or stuck right in front of my eyes :D lol

Spoonz

Member +
stuck inside the window on the driver side would be the best has the police can see it wen they drive past

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Plate stuck on the inside of the window will earn you a pull from the traffics in no-time. My plate fell off and within 10mins i was stopped and every time it fell off after then. Then i decided to use those regi plate fixers that screw into the bumper.

Iain